Saturday, February 22, 2014

Fairy Cakes

Hello there! Thanks for visiting my sweet blog today. I've not been very busy with cakes the last week, so this gives me a chance to showcase some of the ones I missed posting about last year.

With all the snow outside, and spring around the corner, I thought I'd share the two flower-filled fairy cakes that I did for two sweet little girls. The first one is modeled after this cake by bubolinkata. Her cakes and cookies are AMAZING!!!! I loved the design of the cake and the fairy's dress, but since this cake had to travel across state lines, I knew my fairy would need to be sitting down.
I did use a mold for the body that I was given by my Mom who did cakes when I was a little girl, but I used techniques I learned from Craftsy's Cake Topper Techniques Class to make the clothes and hair. Painting faces still gets me nervous. I mean, what fairy wants two different size eyes, or crooked lips? I have learned that a little lemon extract can be used as an "eraser" in emergencies.
The next cake is one of my favorites of this past year. I was asked to do a "woodland fairy" cake. Um, yes, please. My head was immediately spinning with all kinds of fun details to add to the cake. The hard part was narrowing it down so it wouldn't be critter overkill. :o)

Every woodland fairy needs a tree trunk house to live in, so I used fondant logs to shape the outline of the window and door along with the roots, and then draped more fondant over the top and used a veining tool to add lots of bark details. After I took this picture, I added some lighter fondant to the top for the inner rings and did some shading with petal dust to give it a little life.
Then I had fun adding the fairies, flowers and critters. There were ladybugs, caterpillars, bumblebees, snails and butterflies. I thought the fairies needed a little extra room so I added a rice krispy mushroom house on top. There were flowers everywhere and even sunflower seed doorhandles. I just wanted to shrink down and open that door to see what was inside the house. (If I remember correctly that was a strawberry lemonade cake with chocolate ganache in there. Yum!)
My favorite part though were these two little fairies. The one on top is unaware that she's not only watering her garden, but her little friend as well. :o)
So, so, so much fun to do.

Till next time...
O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusts in him. Psalm 34:8

No comments:

Post a Comment