Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Hello there and welcome again to my sweet little corner of the web. We've had some extreme ups and downs the last couple of weeks. I have another post for a more recent cake, but I'm still working on that one. It's a tough one to write about. Anyway, since I've been doing a lot of masculine themed cakes recently I thought I would continue that theme with some of the cakes I've done in the last year.

This first cake pretty much speaks for itself. I was given the toy to use as a model. I made the plane from rice crispy treat and covered it in fondant and gumpaste.
This is one of the few cakes that I've carved. I stacked the cake and then carved a ramp for the train to go up. My friend wanted a train car for each of the party goers to have so I made them from modeling chocolate rather than gumpaste. I really do need to work on scale though. I often find that my decorations are too big or too small for the cake. This one was just on the border of being too big.
I used wax paper as my template to know where to cut the cake.
Covered in buttercream.
And finally in ganache. This took some time to get nice and smooth.

And, my favorite. I used Carlos Lischetti's book, Animation in Sugar to model the car on this one. In the book, the car is a cake, but I made it smaller and used rice crispy treat for it instead. He provides all the patterns for the many, many pieces.
Here's some of the pieces after their paint job. The tread on the tires was hand piped with royal icing. That took a while!
I was extremely happy with how this turned out.
Well, I've got more cake to work on so I better close this here. I will do my best to finish my other post and show you some masculine cakes I've been working on more recently.

Till next time...
God's love and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment