Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Forest for the Trees

Hello again. I wanted to share 2 wedding cakes I've made recently with a tree theme to them, but then I remembered another tree themed cake...and then another. I didn't realize how many cakes I've made with some kind of tree on them.

Here's the two wedding cakes.


As you can see, they both had an aspen theme to them. I made the toppers for both cakes. The birds were gumpaste. The legs and veil were not edible though. 

I had help from the bride's sister in making the bottom cake. We had to experiment to figure out a way to make pine cones. It ended up being a lot easier than I thought they would be. Next time I have to make pine cones, I will take pictures so I can show you how I did it. The hat and veil weren't edible on this one either. While I like both of these, I think I can get better at the aspen bark texture. 

Here's a couple of birthday cakes with trees in them:


This next one I made for my handsome hubby. He loved Guardians of the Galaxy so I had to make him a little Groot.

This one doesn't necessarily have a tree on it, but I had a lot of fun learning how to make a nice "wood plank" base for the cake to sit on.

I used this tutorial by Elisa Strous to make it. I think it came out pretty nice, and to be honest, it was really fun to do.

This is still one of my favorite cakes of all time. LOVE!

This next cake was for a fall get-together at our church, and I taught a class on it. That was a lot of fun, but next time, we're making the owl from modeling chocolate. We made them from fondant, but our little owls kept getting shorter and fatter as the class went on since fondant takes such a long time to harden. It was quite funny as we kept squishing their little bodies to lift them back up again. ;o) 
And finally, here's a cute baby shower cake for one of my hubby's co-worker's daughter. The animals were based off the invitation for the party that I believe were designed by the teenage nephew of the mom-to-be. Very talented young man there. Aren't they adorable? 

Looks like I've shared a forest full of trees, or maybe it was a jungle. :o) 

Till next time...
God's love and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment