Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Frozen Cakes

Hello there! Hope you are having a warm, snugly kind of winter. We have had a late winter, but it has finally arrived. It was -32 windchill this morning, so I am currently sipping some hot cocoa and not planning on going anywhere.

In honor of our chilly weather, I thought I'd share a few cakes with a popular theme that I've done over the last couple of years.

The first one isn't actually a cake, it's just the toppers. I did these for a sweet friend whose husband makes their kid's cakes every year. I shipped these to them (with minimal damage) and he used them on the cake he made. I think this was one of my first times trying to model a specific face. It ain't easy folks, it ain't easy. I hope someday to get my hands on an Elsa doll so I can make a mold of her face, but so far, I haven't seen any the right size for less than $30, and I'm not willing to pay that. If you know of anyone who will let me borrow one for a day or so...


Here she is causing some havoc outside my kitchen window. 


This second one I pulled ideas from several other Frozen cakes I'd seen online. Olaf is so fun to make. I made him and the snowflakes from modeling chocolate. The hill behind him is rice crispy treat. I love this snow effect. It looks really cool, and it's super easy to do.


Like most decorators, even us hobbyists, I've been asked to do a couple of Frozen theme cakes, and I think the hardest part is coming up with new ideas. I don't like to do the same things over and over, so for my third one, I opted to hand paint a plaque with Elsa and Anna and make some fun snowflakes to go on top. 


The large snowflakes were cut from wafer paper and glued to candy sticks. Some of the smaller ones were modeling chocolate cut with a cutter, and some of them were royal icing. I used my Silhouette to cut out several different snowflakes from thin stencil plastic. I laid that on top of some wax paper, spread royal icing over it and then sprinkled edible glitter on top. They were SO sparkly, but also VERY delicate. Thankfully, I made a lot because a lot of them broke. 



What do you think? Which one is your favorite? Have you ever modeled a specific face before? I hope it gets easier as I do it. Well, I think it's time for me to go get another cup of hot cocoa. :o)

Till next time...
God's love and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment